Normally, whether undergraduate or graduate, the research paper is a topic that causes many students anxiety. This increases much more because it is a project that takes place at the end of our career. The choice of topic to be developed is one of the first decisions that must be made and it is common that you do not know what to do, who to turn to or where to investigate.
For that we have prepared a list of tips on how to formulate a research paper topic that will be very useful. We present them below:
1. Review the topics that became interesting throughout your career, you may find there a topic that is to your liking and that you can handle with comfort. Ideally, the topic is related to the career you study and master. For example, if you study Accounting, the topics can be Audit, Taxes, Collections, etc.
2. Define a problem and, of course, its solution: when you work in a company and you detect a problem to which you can suggest a solution, it is the natural or most simple way for this to happen. However, if you are unemployed or if that company seems to have no failure, then create the problem. Talking with some professors or specialists who can give you suggestions of current problems is also an option.
3. After thinking about the problems you have to identify the individual phenomena that it contains. If you thought about what interests you, now it’s your turn to identify those specific facts or phenomena. The trick is to go down to the specific details until you get to the variables.
4. Consult publications, magazines, theses that are related to your career. Investigate which inputs you have in the library of your institution or city. Keep in mind that the research sources you choose must be current. If you use ancient bibliography, your research paper will be outdated and will not give a substantial contribution. In the case of statistics, we recommend you never use those that are more than ten years old.
5. It must be an interesting research paper topic, novel that contributes to the solution of problems, to the contribution of new knowledge and is useful to society. We recommend that your final work be a contribution for your professional career. Therefore, you can do an investigation that then lends itself to write a book on the topic or complete a project.
6. Make sure you have current and relevant bibliography.
7. In the case of carrying out a fieldwork, select a sample with which you will not have difficulties to work (validate your economic possibilities and accessibility of the land). Remember also that it is an investment in your education, so if you have the resources, the advice is to select the best sample for your work, even if it means traveling, etc.
8. Take into account that you will not be able to investigate a topic of which there are no previous findings and works. You will use an important amount of materials and sources for the preparation of your research paper and create quality work.
Steps to elaborate the thesis of degree
Once you select the topic, you must complete a series of steps to start the investigation. Know them below.
1. Write a title
The subject that will contain the work should be summarized in the title. It needs to be concrete, limited and clear.
2. Define the problem
Normally, after the title, a section is presented in which the problem to be evaluated is described, related to the central theme. When making this statement, remember that if there is no problem there is no need for study.
3. Poses a hypothesis
Through one or more arguments you must describe everything that involves the problem of the investigation.
4. Establishes a methodology
At this point you decide which tools you will use: surveys, field work, focus group, bibliographical research, in-depth interviews, market studies, etc.
The design of a research project requires the adoption of a specific approach. The latter includes all the steps that a researcher is required to follow, in order to design a research work that meets the methodological standards. In this sense, we will tend to identify 4 search times: – Choose a research topic; – Develop a problem and hypotheses; – Observe and collect data; – Treat, interpret and communicate the results; Our work is essentially concerned with the first step in the process of carrying out a research project, namely the choice of the research topic, since it constitutes the starting point and the unavoidable path that a researcher borrows to arrive at his research.